Labor strong on safety with $1.2 billion roads pledge
October 29, 2020
A re-elected Labor government will invest $1.2 billion to make Queensland roads safer over the next four years as part of the annual Transport and Roads Investment Program
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said Labor had led the nation with road safety reforms over the last two terms of government.
“Every life lost is a tragedy and that’s why my government has set a target of zero lives lost on Queensland roads,” the Premier said.
“It sounds ambitious but how can we aim for anything less?
“Labor will invest record funding in road safety and hire more police.
“Since April, we have announced $1 billion in new and accelerated funding for road upgrades right across the state.
“Many of the 100 projects are in rural and regional areas and were picked because we can get work started quickly and create hundreds of new jobs to support Queensland’s economic recovery.
“Road safety is a responsibility we all share, and Labor will continue to back world-leading innovation and research to make Queensland roads safer.”
Transport and Main Roads Minister Mark Bailey said Labor will continue to work with local communities to prioritise funding for the state’s most notorious roads.
“Under Labor, Queensland introduced the toughest fines in Australia to crack down on drivers who use their mobile phones behind the wheel,” Mr Bailey said.
“We are one of the first states to trial cameras that can detect drivers using their phone or not wearing a seatbelt too.
“Last year, the number of lives lost on Queensland roads was the lowest since the 1950s.
“Sadly, that trend has reversed in 2020, demonstrating that poor driver choices continue to be the leading cause of death and severe injuries on our roads.
“Labor will continue to push safety messages through public education campaigns and target school zones too.
“$45 million will support road works around schools and the installation of flashing school zones at 300 schools over the next four years.
“Labor’s $1.2 billion road safety program is in addition to other major jointly-funded roads initiatives like the $12.6 billion Bruce Highway Upgrade Program and the Building a Better M1 plan.
“Safer Queensland roads are at risk under the LNP.
“Deb Frecklington was a senior member of the previous LNP government that cut $1.6 billion from Queensland’s roads budgets.
“That included cutting funding for local councils to help them fund local road upgrades projects for their own communities.
“The LNP has promised to deliver a budget surplus in four years without telling people what funding they’ll cut and who they will sack to achieve that.
“Labor is a choice for stability and strength.
“Queensland can’t afford uncertainty and chaos under Deb Frecklington and the LNP.”